Ethical foundations of the left

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Tue Jul 31 13:38:55 PDT 2001

Kelley wrote:

> it is the universalization of
> >rationality in everyday life settings--work, school, prison, govt--
> >that is a crucial component of the various forms of inequality and
> >domination we see in the world today.
> >
> >Miles

This is the sort of argument which I have elsewhere argued _does_ make a difference -- Miles has articulated with great precision what I already thought but didn't know, in these terms, that I thought. In particular, I don't think (in the 21st century) it is possible to use the word or concept of rationality except as shorthand for rational calculation. This statement would seem to be a good primary premise to start out from for any consideration of rationality over the last few centuries.

Carrol