Leftist Musical History - Trivia

Jeff Skinner olentzero at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 31 20:56:33 PDT 2001

Good afternoon, everyone. I'm a rank newbie to the lists - been following LBO off and on for about a year now, occasionally dipping into the listserv just to see what's going on. I apologize for jumping right in like this but I've been on a small quest for quite a while, and a discussion about the authorship of the tune for the "Internationale" led me to think I may find my answer here.

Years ago while still at college, I read in some encyclopedia that there had been a second tune written to Pottier's words that had enjoyed a brief popularity among Czech workers around 1905 or 1906. I'm really interested in trying to find that tune; most searches on the Net have been rather fruitless.

Has anyone else ever heard of this "alternate version"? If so, do you know where I might be able to find it?

Thanks for your patience with this little bit of trivial fluff, but if I ever manage to find what I'm looking for I'd be actually quite satisfied with life for a while.

--Jeff Skinner Arlington, VA