Ethical foundations of the left

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Tue Jul 31 17:26:04 PDT 2001

Ken writes:

>>Some people have faith in liberalism (grounded in communication as
>>reason-giving with freedom, equality, & fairness in the case of
>>Habermas). For all his loud protestation in favor of the rights &
>>liberties of liberal democracy, Justin isn't one of them, being too
>>worldly for faith of the sort preached by Ken.
>>
>>Yoshie
>
>Faith is 'grounded' in a fusion of two of the three value spheres
>I've already outlined, it is, fundamentally, undifferentiated in
>terms of 'grounding.' In effect, despite protestations to the
>contrary, faith is not grounded in any 'comprehensible' or
>philosophical sense of the term ground.

No doubt faith in liberalism comes from a source other than an argument in favor of it. :->

>Everything is just so damn obvious and we're all so very smart.

No one here says that we shouldn't practice reason-giving in a public sphere. Those who disagree with you are merely saying that it has a far more modest place in politics in particular & human lives in general than you or Habermas is prepared to acknowledge.

Yoshie