Fwd: Re: Katha Pollitt on Andrew Sullivan

kelley kelley at interpactinc.com
Fri Jun 1 10:59:03 PDT 2001

At 12:37 PM 6/1/01 -0500, Carrol Cox wrote:

>Now the gossipers on the left and the Augustinian propounders of the
>unity of thought and action as a philosophical principle have, as a few
>have noted, allowed the struggle to be shifted to mere trivialities
>about the sincerity etc of a single prick of an individual.

carrol, i'm bitching at nathan and others who don't see thru sullivan's rhetoric. i would argue that they don't see it because they are men and they are as sexist as sullivan in some respects. do you understand what katha and i are saying? even if he isn't lying, he's using sexist arguments in his response to his attackers. for me, that was the point. i didn't get involved in this discussion until justin and nathan couldn't be bothered to see how utterly absurd sullivan's whine was and i wanted to point out that there was a middle road position here, as did you, re hypocrisy.

none of what i've been talking about has anything to do with personality. sullivan's little rant was sexist and i'm arguing that barebacking (and the assumption that it is a personal issue) is not a personal issue at all. it is a public health issue (in terms of casual barebacking) and it is a feminist issue, i say, because it is based on masculinist notions of "real" sex and the burden of protected sex.

i have repeatedly said that i don't agree that he should be attacked like he was. but, i have used this debate as point at which to reveal how the assumptions that people have made here are sexist.

kelley