Katha Pollitt on Andrew Sullivan

kelley kelley at interpactinc.com
Fri Jun 1 11:51:27 PDT 2001

At 02:29 PM 6/1/01 -0400, Dennis wrote:
>kelley wrote:
>
> > sexual enjoyment is socially constituted. not deterministically so, but it
> > is certainly not some absolutely opaque desire utterly immune to the
>social
> > and embedded within the individual psyche in some mysterious way.
>
>Eh? Cum again?
>
>You sound like Janet Margolis in "Annie Hall."
>
>DP

not a woody allen fan, sorry.

sexual enjoyment is socially constituted. barebacking is only an issue because if HIV. ditto many other fetishes. no PVC? no PVC fetish. no widespread, inexpensive availability of tattoos, no tattoo fetish. that's easy to understand. the reason why the guy in nazi germany really dug patent leather pumps and waited at the escalator to steal the patent leather pump (right one only) from women shopping is difficult to explain, but it sure as heck isn't immune from some social explanation.

single issue...heh...sexual fetishes are the focus of websites and/or the talk of the town and/or something that makes us cream our jeans because it's possible--technologically, economically, socially, etc.

we learn how to have sex and, as a consequence, what we desire is related to the social circumstances within which we live. and, as a favorite mentor says, he became a sociologist not just to find out why people are the same, but why they are different, a desire informed by his personal life experience. he asked himself, "how is it that i grew up with the same w-c catholic parents, in the same house, in the same neighborhood, went to same schools, had same teachers and shared same friends and the five of us turned out so differently? one of us is a biology professor. the other is a priest who got busted for fucking choir boys. the other is a sociology professor. another is a millionaire former owner of a chain of tire stores. and another is dead from a drug deal gone wrong."

it may not be easy to understand why those different people emerged from very similar circumstances, but it doesn't follow that they are different because unique inside them was some gene or soul that pushed them in one direction or another. it is highly likely that nothing about their natural phsycial, biological or genetic make ups would yield that kind of variation. instead, we should recognize that the similarities AND the differences are the result of their social experiences. in sociology we call this "differentiation" and "individuation".

if you're implying that this is another instance of a convo not suitable for suzy winecooler, well, for god's sake. i flipped on the tube today looking for the channel that has a view of the playground. happened upon Oxygen. heard about it, had never seen it, so sipped some java while listening to the blather. the socially constituted nature of fetishes and, indeed, all sexual practices was a topic of discussion. she used deterministic, as well. indeed, one of the guests said that same thing i did, only with hand gestures to indicate "the dialectic".

heh.

kelley