Katha Pollitt on Andrew Sullivan

Rob Schaap rws at comedu.canberra.edu.au
Fri Jun 1 20:36:25 PDT 2001

Welcome back Ken,

> ... sex, marking a massive cultural obsession,

Geez, you're not kidding. Spring has well and truly sprung up there, eh?

This is enough to make me pine for that interminable jazz thread of a few months back.

>is the praxis of an embodied fantasy. It is no wonder we've got body trouble,
>everybody is getting off on something that does not exist yet is
>experienced as
>never having been lost. The sexual imaginary, welcome to denial and the
>end of
>desire.

And now it's even more boring. I'd ask what 'body trouble' is and what's wrong with getting off on 'embodied fantasies', but someone might answer.

Must be quiet across North America just now - my only mailing list option is over at PEN-L, where we're busy exercising ourselves on pre-colonial Peruvian mining practices and the role of English sheep in the 16th century. Never realised how interesting that stuff could be ...

Catch you after the mating season, comrades, Rob.