The Dialectics of Sexual McCarthyism

Dennis dperrin13 at mediaone.net
Sat Jun 2 07:23:51 PDT 2001

> Yeah, who is this Andrew Sullivan? And can anyone give me a good reason
> why anyone should know of his existence and what he is? Is he any
> relation to John L. or to the author of the Sullivan Principles?
>
> Carrol

Well, Carrol, my "Andrew who???" was made in jest. I know who Sullivan is. Indeed, many years ago at Hitchens's apartment in DC, he and I got into a spirited tiff over Gore Vidal's concept that "homosexual" and "heterosexual" are adjectives, not nouns. I more or less agreed with Vidal; Sullivan clearly didn't (and I felt at the time couldn't, since Vidal was on the New Republic's enemies list) and was kind of a prick about it. Very haughty and condescending. Before lone he and Hitch huddled together to discuss the latest DC gossip, while Hitch's wife Carol and I drank and talked about porno movies.

Sullivan is an out-fag/Catholic/Tory who is big on gay marriage. He made his bones as the TRB columnist for the New Republic, and is currently a reg at the NYTimes Sunday Mag. You can read all you like of him at andrewsullivan.com.

DP