Something you're not likely to see from me again soon

Gordon Fitch gcf at panix.com
Mon Jun 4 06:45:30 PDT 2001

Peter Kosenko:
> Actually, I did once read German, as an undergrad
> and in graduate school, and translated Peter
> Handke's "Die Gallistl'sch Krankheit" as my
> project. I have nothing against Germans or the
> German language. Unfortunately, like anyone else
> who doesn't make it into academia and has to get
> other work for a living, and never has the money
> to travel, I haven't been sitting around reading
> German a lot in many years.

I was tempted to say, about learning to read German in order to read Heidegger, "As soon as I have a free afternoon I'll get right to it." But then I was distracted by the thought of philosophers who cannot be translated. Poets, yes -- the poetry, they say, is the part you can't translate. But the presumption of philosophy seems to be against all that sort of stuck-in-the-contextual-mud, Blut-und-Boden stuff. From the sages compounding aspirate-afflicted polysyllables in the Indus Valley three thousand years ago, straight through to Heidegger, there is a claim or an implication of universality, is there not? A floating on the air, out into space, up into the Empyrean and the abode of the gods. I cannot imagine the high gods being required to speak German.