Something you're not likely to see from me again soon

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Mon Jun 4 10:54:24 PDT 2001

At 03:34 PM 6/4/01 +0000, justin wrote:
>And sociology is an exercise in experience unencumbered by imagination . . .
>. Hey, W., don't read philosophy if you don't like to; it's not obligatory,
>but writing off whole traditions of human inquiry as second rate versions of
>something else is sort of dumb. --jks

Let's see. For about 2000+ year philosophers talked about "universal truths and categories." Then, circa 1990 comes a sociologist by the name Emile Durkheim and sez that all those "universals" are but reifications of th eorganization of society - which was a genuinely original solution of the centuries old puzzle regarding the universals (which oscillated between the individual and the universe, missing the society in between). And who is thinking "in a box" here?

wojtek