Kristol: conservative era waning

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Jun 4 12:55:35 PDT 2001

David Hearne wrote:

>I need to read the whole article, but what exactly does Kristol mean
>by the 'end of this period?' It seems as if the things pushed most
>forcibly by conservatives -- deregulation, faith in the marketplace,
>the dismantling of the welfare state, tax cuts -- are still popular
>with the general public. If they're not popular with the public, then
>they surely have strong support among powerful forces within the
>government. Or am I mistaken?

The latter is true - almost by definition, since the government is dominated by Bushies. But if you mean the ruling class in general, yes, that too, though the big biz positions are probably not as loony as Bush's. (His position on Kyoto, for example, is worse than Ford's.) With the general public, though, the right-wing agenda has little appeal. There was little support for tax cuts, for example.

Doug