Something you're not likely to see from me again soon

Ian Murray seamus2001 at home.com
Mon Jun 4 13:37:40 PDT 2001

----- Original Message ----- From: "Justin Schwartz" <jkschw at hotmail.com> To: <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Sent: Monday, June 04, 2001 11:33 AM Subject: Re: Something you're not likely to see from me again soon

> Speaking as a pragmatist, you won't get any defense of universal
truths and
> values from me. Of course, the classic American pragmatists (James,
Royce,
> Pierce, Dewey, Holmes) mostly didn't have the benefit of Durkheim.
Dewey
> might have noticed him, he read more widely than most. And the other
> historicizing current that I lay claim to, Hegelian Marxism, is also
pretty
> skeptical of universalizing notions. So it's not that sociology all
of
> sudden noticed something that philosophers had been missing. In the
19th C,
> lot sof people started to notice historicism and conceptual
relativity.
> --jks
=========== Not to mention the likes of Vico, Protagoras, Herodotus before 19C.....

Ian