Empire, nationalism, etc.

Dennis Robert Redmond dredmond at efn.org
Mon Jun 4 14:00:44 PDT 2001

On Mon, 4 Jun 2001, Doug Henwood wrote:

> position? I see at least two specific problems of broader
> theoretical/strategic interest: 1) a poor, lightly industrialized
> country doesn't have much scope to act on its own, leaving it
> extremely vulnerable to external pressure, and the temptations of
> World Bank loans;

Hmm, I was just cruising Common Frontier's Alternatives for the Americas (http://www.web.net/~comfront/alternatives.htm), and was struck by the same point -- the nation-state was sort of assumed as the point of defense. Some of the parts which deal with neoliberalism are dead on target, and it even mentioned the EU structural funds as a possible model, but there's almost nothing about how indigenous elites are hooked up to the world-system, and very abstract calls for "industrial policy" and "debt writeoffs" (a polite way of saying, they didn't mention little facts like, EU banks -- especially the Spanish ones -- are Latin America's biggest creditors). Nor was there anything dealing with the absolutely essential social form which any sort of post-national resistance will have to take, namely multinational solidarity with the global periphery. Some brainstorming is in order...

-- Dennis