Fw; [ASDnet] Should Peace Movements Criticize Terrorism??

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Mon Jun 4 15:07:35 PDT 2001

David McReynolds wrote:

>Of course the terrorism of the Palestinians is no different from that of the
>Stern Gang, of the foundes of Likkud, etc. and since that terrorism should
>have been condemned, and was, I don't see why one should hesitate to make
>clear we are apalled at suicide bombers who target civilians.

Anyone in "peace movements" is free to condemn Palestinian terrors to his heart's content, but condemnation will be completely ignored by suicide bombers who don't belong to any "peace movement."

>The real problem here is with Carrol, who too easily exempts the Palestinians
>from effective organization, an effective center. The PLO isn't behind these
>terror bombings - or I greatly doubt it - but the PLO itself isn't very much
>in charge of things. It is not the Israelis who have made it impossible for
>the Palestinians to organize a "center" (though certainly they have tried),
>but the tendency of the Palestinians to substitute rhetoric for organization
>and, in the present case, suicide bombings for more effective actions.

If condemnation of Palestinian terrors isn't a substitution of rhetoric for organization & effective action, what is?

Yoshie