fantasy and political organization

Alec Ramsdell aramsdell at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 4 19:39:23 PDT 2001

Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:

> >What are the hazards, what is the "mystical"
> fantasy,
> >and what is the "reformed" fantasy? As an example,
> >think of the lingering protectionism, a species of
> >Americanism, in the labor movement. Is this a
> >mystical consciousness, with its racial and
> >nationalistic overtones--a fantasy obscuring real
> >common interests and thwarting organization?
> >
> >Alec
>
> You bet!
>
> Yoshie

And it's a stubborn fantasy. At a small march commemorating Haymarket here in Chicago I heard two speakers within the space of ten minutes highlight the contradictions behind this fantasy. The first speaker called for an anti-free market, pro-labor and environment awareness--let alone active engagement-- with an appeal to being American. As Americans we should be involved in the fight.

The second speaker was Hungarian with no kind words for America. The gist of what he said left one, or at least left me, puzzled, let's say, as to what there is about America that one would want to stake a political project in American national identity.

Alec