fantasy and political organization

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Mon Jun 4 20:06:18 PDT 2001

Alec Ramsdell wrote:

> The second speaker was Hungarian with no kind words
> for America. The gist of what he said left one, or at
> least left me, puzzled, let's say, as to what there is
> about America that one would want to stake a political
> project in American national identity.

This is an exceedingly tough question (or at least some versions of it are). My tendency (though I think probably it isn't a question that can be resolved in abstraction from discussion within an active movement) is more and more to conclude that indeed "American national identity" cannot be given a positive content. A song by Aunt Molly Jackson (written before the CP adopted its Popular Front line) expresses a view that should be seriously considered:

The bosses ride on a big white horse

While we walk in the mud.

Their flag's the old red, white and blue

But ours is dipped in blood.

But as you clearly recognize in your post, most of those sympathetic or at this time potentially sympathetic to the left still pretty vigorously cling to their "Americanism" -- they just want to change what that means. So (the CP change of line probably in part echoed this) Aunt Molly's position here can potentially cut one off from a hearing.

Is "identity" the term we want here -- the word was a label (identity politics) for a particular approach to politics a few years ago, and as several threads on this list have indicated many equate _any_ defence of (for example) an independent black politics with "identity politics." But I think that a side issue here.

I am attaching a post that appeared on the sixties=l list. It was a lengthy thread and this post gives just a taste of it, but it shows how lively the dehate can be.

Carrol