fantasy and political organization

Gordon Fitch gcf at panix.com
Tue Jun 5 04:40:34 PDT 2001

Yoshie Furuhashi:
> According to the documentary _America: Love It or Leave It_, 125,000
> Americans went to Canada -- as draft resisters, deserters, or
> political exiles (self-imposed or otherwise) -- during the Vietnam
> War, so back then to become a Canadian (resident or citizen) could
> mean to become un-American ideologically.

The Canadians didn't have any trouble identifying and resenting us.

Note that a lot of Americans move to Canada for other than political reasons; that was true during the war, as well as before and after. The idea that one can escape imperial Capital now seems charmingly naive to me. One has such dreams in one's youth.