fantasy and political organization

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Jun 5 08:32:38 PDT 2001

Max Sawicky wrote:

>What you call protectionism is self-defense.
>"Internationalism" is the fantasy. That
>everyone else is dreaming is your dream.
>Hope they're sweet.

There's no successful politics without a good fantasy, whether you're talking Bolshevism or Reaganism. So calling something a "fantasy" isn't terribly helpful. We need fantasies that are rooted enough in the real world to have some possibility of success and just otherworldly enough to inspire people.

There's just no real world base for protectionism anymore. Economies, cultures, and psyches are just too internationalized. Protectionist politicians lose badly with great regularity all over the place. Wake up and smell the imported coffee, Max.

Doug