fantasy and political organization

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Jun 5 09:50:38 PDT 2001

Max Sawicky wrote:

>On the politics part, Teixeira's polling analysis says otherwise.

Poll numbers are exceedingly mixed. Electorally, though, name an explicitly protectionist candidate who's done well. Even the AFL-CIO is becoming internationalist in some way or other.

>As to the economics, you have plenty of company in your belief,
>Brad, uh, Doug.

Where was the keyboard you're typing on made? Mine says "Designed by Apple in California. Made in Malaysia." The AT&T phone next to me, "Made in Mexico." HP LaserJet, engine "Made in Japan," printer "Assembled in USA."

it's not just economics. I was at a high school graduation in East Lansing, Michigan, over the weekend. EL is right next to a major university, so this confounds things a bit, but it's also a small Midwestern city. Judging from the names, the HS class was full of kids of Indian, Latin American, Vietnamese, and African origin. Just what would we be "protecting"?

Doug