Russian labor code

Chris Doss chrisd at russiajournal.com
Wed Jun 6 02:05:20 PDT 2001

Russia has one of the most worker-friendly labor codes in the world (goes back to 1920, I believe). It's all on paper though, of course.

I haven't researched it in detail, but the new code being rammed through by the government legalizes unpaid "voluntary" overtime and some forms of child labor.

The CPRF is supporting it, but I don't think they want to -- Putin is just so damn popular and so damn powerful that opposing him vociferously takes a lot of effort, and the Communists know after their failed attempt to get a vote of no-confidennce in the government a few months ago that they probably don't have the leverage.

Chris Doss The Russia Journal