ritalin

Christopher Rhoades Dÿkema crdbronx at erols.com
Wed Jun 6 07:50:17 PDT 2001

Wojtek Sokolowski wrote:

> Hmmm... does that mean that the entire humanity remained in the dark on
> that issue for millenia,

No, but in the US, now, I think what I wrote is quite valid, since the circumstances in which the personality forms here and now require that children develop a stronger ego than was necessary in many other historical circumstances.

> and the truth about evil effects of physicial
> punishment was only discovered by a group of brave US hippies ca 1969?

Historical inaccuracy.

> My own thinking, admittedly based on old fashined analytical reasoning,
> goes as follows. Human behavior is a result of multiple factors as well as
> interaction among these factors. It takes a hell of the analytical work to
> attribute a particular outcome to a particular factor under particular
> circumstances.

Of course, no sane person disagrees.

> PS. There is a difference between physical punishment and abuse. Abuse
> does not have to physical, emotional abuse is more common and often more
> damaging to a person's self-esteem than good old fashioned whacking.

Also true. But, if you look, I didn't say every single act of physical punishment is abusive. I said that legitimizing physical punishment social makes abuse inevitable. Hence, it is important to de-legitimize physical punishment if we are to significantly reduce abuse.

Christopher Rhoades Dÿkema