academe

Dennis Robert Redmond dredmond at efn.org
Wed Jun 6 11:43:31 PDT 2001

On Tue, 5 Jun 2001, Brad DeLong wrote:

> So supposing that you were a very senior academic administrator
> interested in getting the senior faculty of an Ivy League university
> re-engaged in teaching. How would you go about doing it?

It always depends on the specific department, but I'd push up wages at the low end, integrate the grads into the program or start a grad program if there isn't any (they'll bring energy and fresh ideas) and get more collaborative projects going at the upper end, especially with folks who aren't necessarily within the department in question. In other words, change the long-term culture away from education as a commodity and strict academic hierarchies, towards something more equitable and community-oriented.

-- Dennis