populist.com column on Sullivan and Judicial Nominations

Nathan Newman nathan at newman.org
Wed Jun 6 23:14:27 PDT 2001

----- Original Message ----- From: "kelley" <kelley at interpactinc.com>

> >now, could you explain to me why you 1. seem to think that signorelle is
> >civil libertarian and 2. where he expressed glee? or, do you frequently
> >write opinion pieces full of fabricated claims?
>
>I wasn't talking about Signorelle.. I was talking about those who passed
>on the story, including the media and those on LBO who took so much
>pleasure in exposing Sullivan's behavior.

-you might want to make that clear. anyone not on lbo would assume that you -meant signorele since he has a history of outting people. this is what i -mean, as well, about indicating complete ignorance about the issues!

Even the original LBNY article forwarded referred to the broad discussion of the topic everywhere from Salon.com to FreeRepublic and I made it clear that it was being passed around the media. And even Signorelle is a civil libertarian on a lot of other issues, as most advocates for gay rights rightly are. That's one reason "outing" is considered so controversial to begin with. Sullivan may have his inconsistencies but so does Signorele.

Because we discussed it on LBO, you assume I was referring just to the discussions here, when the LBNY article referred to the "sensationalism" "gossip" "hot topic" surrounding the discussion of Sullivan - hardly terms of disinterested sober political discussion.

>the only person who passed on the story was doug. feel free to show me
>where doug expressed glee? additionally, feel free to provide some
>evidence of _anyone_ expressing glee. as for the media, where was glee
>expressed on the part of the "media" and a content analysis of this
>supposed "glee" and are they civil libertarians?

Glee is defined at taking pleasure in finding out that Sullivan was a hypocrite in folks' view. I think the glee was obvious. Expressed in the proper academic or political language but glee by any reasonable definition.

-- Nathan