populist.com column on Sullivan and Judicial Nominations

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Thu Jun 7 00:16:30 PDT 2001

On Thu, 7 Jun 2001, Nathan Newman wrote:

> Yet the point is nothing has even been proven that he was doing
> anything other than what he has preached. What bothers me most about
> this discussion is that almost no one has posted anything by Sullivan
> that is incompatible with looking for an HIV+ partner to have sex
> with.

If by that you mean "not incompatible with looking for an HIV+ partner to settle down in a monogamous relationship with" then yes, the ad is incompatible with that. At least as it was quoted by Richard Kim in his Nation Online article "Andrew Sullivan, Overexposed." (Which I liked, BTW. And FWIW Kim shares your basic aversion to dwelling on the hypocrisy argument, although I think for different reasons.) Kim quotes "RawMuscleGlutes" (Andy's stage name) as expressing an interest in "bi-scenes, one-on-ones, three-ways, groups, parties, orgies and gang bangs," but not in "fats and fems." Sounds like fun perhaps, but I think you must agree that it doesn't sound like a guy looking to settle down. Even in Vermont, you can't marry a gang.

Michael