Fw:Trotskyists and WWII

Christopher Rhoades Dÿkema crdbronx at erols.com
Thu Jun 7 05:51:24 PDT 2001

This had more than one aspect.

Michael Pugliese wrote:

One aspect of the

> camps, that writers like Eugen Kogon, remarked on and that Semprun brings up
> as well, is the use by the camp admin. at Auschwitz, etc.
> of the KPD political prisoners as enforcers on lower ranks of prisoners.

On the other hand, I had the good fortune to come upon and read a book a by Benedikt Kautsky (Karl's son) about his years in several concentration camps from the time of the annexation of Austria until 1945. The lower ranks of prisoners included gangs of criminals which the Nazis tried to use to dominate the politicals. Kautsky says there was a decisive point when the politicals overcame the criminals and dominated. Then they had to work with the camp administration and had to make, as always, various compromises.

Christopher Rhoades Dÿkema