Fwd: Andrew Sullivan, Overexposed

Nathan Newman nathan at newman.org
Thu Jun 7 07:52:50 PDT 2001

----- Original Message ----- From: "Christopher Rhoades Dÿkema" <crdbronx at erols.com>

>So maybe, instead, we need to argue and strongly, that his hypocrisy
>shows the vacuity and anti-human character of the moral standards he
>propounds.

Or maybe it just shows what a sickie he really was- which is how most of the anti-gay and moralist folks will read about his exposure. This is the blindness of politics based on exposure of hypocrisy, since the "fallen" can always be explained. In fact, moralists love when one of their own fall, since it just reinforces their own individual sense of superiority.

The anti-human character of rigid intolerant moral standards is better shown by discussing not those like Sullivan who violate them, but by discussing those who suffer because of them. I don't disagree with Kelley on the consequences of sex panic politics, but just disagree that discussions of Sullivan advance the discussion.

-- Nathan Newman