Fwd: Andrew Sullivan, Overexposed

Rob Schaap rws at comedu.canberra.edu.au
Thu Jun 7 11:09:27 PDT 2001

>what i find loathesome is your insistence on seeing prurient discussion of
>details that suggest lewd thoughts on the part of participants. as kim
>pointed out, feminists have successfully managed to engage in these
>discussions without imagining that we are lewd creeps. i don't think the
>dildo wars and the SM wars were about satisfying prurient interests, for
>example, but very real arguments over the nature of sexuality. they were
>quite enlightening for me to read and i'm glad they(we) had the arguments.

Well, loathe me then. Had I not known that right-wing moralists have a hypocrisy problem and make lives hard for those who listen to 'em, and that we shouldn't stick our noses into people's bedrooms unless we're asked, I guess I might have learned something. But, like everyone else here, I did know that. Can we move on now?

Cheers, Rob.