ritalin

Joanna Sheldon cjs10 at cornell.edu
Thu Jun 7 12:39:06 PDT 2001

Hi Maureen,

>But we're talking about punishment of children, who might not have yet
>have this reasoning capacity which, as you say, feels so degrading to be
>frightened out of as an adults.

When I say we all hate to see our reason go out the window, I'm not referring to a form of reason that it takes any time to develop. Fear interferes with the ability to absorb information, even in a very young child. For all creatures fear is a to-be-avoided experience, along with everything associated with that experience, so eliciting fear tends to teach avoidance and mistrust. I'll bet a flea won't train when it's scared.

cheers, Joanna S

----- my site www.overlookhouse.com news from down under www.smh.com.au