Fwd: Andrew Sullivan, Overexposed

kelley kelley at interpactinc.com
Thu Jun 7 13:07:35 PDT 2001

michael pollack:

>I think a case can be made, somewhat as DD made it, that gossip is moral
>philosophy made fun and thus made democratic. Underneath the arguments
>over whether x is guilty -- which gives us a penny-ante stake and some
>imagery to emote to -- people are having arguments in relief over moral
>principles.

as i pointed out and as kim nicely pointed out: hypocrisy and exposing it has been part and parcel of exposing the operations of power and the structure of oppression. kim argues that sullivan's hypocrisy was about white male privilege. which is where katha and i had been going. but, of course, this was about our prurient interests in sullivan's sex life- AS IF there was something lewd about what sullivan did or what his desires are!