Democrats and capital (was: Re: BdL on BE)

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Thu Jun 7 13:40:28 PDT 2001

Archer.Todd at ic.gc.ca wrote:

> Wojtek said:
>
> >The "capital" is not an unified,
> >omniscient force - in fact, there is no such a thing as capital, only

This is another example of what I mean when I say nominalism is a powerful tool but a vicious master. Following similar nominalist logic back in the '30s Stuart Chase (author of _The Tyranny of Words_) said that there was no such thing as "fascism" (that it had no referent in the slang of the times). Kenneth Burke is very good on such superficial anti-realism.

Carrol