Nixon & Moynihan chatting about race

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 8 17:23:30 PDT 2001

>From: Michael Pugliese <debsian at pacbell.net>
>
> Damn, that was a good read of something I can indulge in too much,
>conspiranoia, Wotjek!
> June 18th, The Nation (btw, last night I saw a long profile of Katrina
>vanden Heuval, the editor on the UPI website), from Alex Cockburn, "Back in
>my days at the Village Voice I wrote a parody of conspiracy mongering and
>awoke to hear it being read out as serious news on WBAI by Samori
>Marksman..."

And why not? Reality was constantly outpacing Cockburn's attempts at the time to engage in hyperbole. I remember that the cartoon artwork that ran with Cockburn's weekly column "Annals of the Age of Reagan" depicted some shady character bearing satchels bulging with greenbacks, offer to pursue some international or domestic intrigue. That supposed caricature was, to my way of thinking, a pretty precise photographic likeness of the Reagan crowd in action.