Rob Schaap on Foucault

Ian Murray seamus2001 at home.com
Sat Jun 9 11:14:25 PDT 2001

> >dot: you "obsess" about those nasty
> >pomos/poststructuralists/anti-materialists.
>
> Different thing entirely, Kel. Kicking that load of puerile
intellectual
> dishonesty off the thoroughfares of conversation is a sacred duty.
>
> Cheers,
> Rob.
========= Since you don't name the actual villains Rob, it's tough to know who you're aiming at. But, for my lights Marx and Foucault should be seen as complements rather than antagonists in exploring-explaining the social-material-semiotic dynamics of capitalism.

For a good take on the issue see "The Nature of Capital: Marx after Foucault" by the Canadian Richard Marsden. The only real problem I've had with the book is it's distracting minutiae which do nothing to enliven the dialogue between the 2 and the use of Bhaskar's philosophy of science, which is problematic to say the least....

Ian