"the prick McReynolds"-like crabs in a bucket . . .

Nathan Newman nathan at newman.org
Sun Jun 10 16:46:55 PDT 2001

----- Original Message ----- From: "John Halle" <john.halle at yale.edu>
> > Huh? What's your beef with David McR? He seems like a fine fellow to
> > me.
> >
> > Doug

-All this is a depressing reminder of those who gleefully (pace NN) -imposed a similar purity test on Nader.

Actually, I would have voted for McReynolds (since CT was a safe state) except he was not on the official list of write-in candidates.

I had no problem with tactical support for Nader- the Molly Ivins strategy. My problem with Nader is that he spent most of his time in close battleground states, a stupid strategy that helped Bush win and probably cost Nader votes in safe states where many tactical-mined folks ended up going back to Gore because they were annoyed with Nader's strategy.

I frankly disagree with Nader on many politics, since his "consumer politics" is far more pro free-market than my own. So for me, Nader was never really a serious possibility. If I wanted to vote for someone I agreed with, it would have been McReynolds. Nader would have been a tactical compromise - as it was for many leftists - and as a tactical compromise, I prefered Gore winning the election to a symbolic couple of a percentage for Nader.

-- Nathan Newman