Rob Schaap on Foucault

Brad DeLong delong at econ.Berkeley.EDU
Mon Jun 11 07:52:52 PDT 2001

>G'day Catherine and Doug,
>
>Really in a rush now ...
>
>>It's really difficult for me to see what Foucault you're reading to
>>support this Foucault vs materialism thesis. Or, rather, I don't see
>>why you've chosen to read him this way, which you would have to admit
>>to be highly selective.
>
>I honestly think we're underestimating how politically dangerous that
>Nietzchean stuff about overthrowing the category of truth itself can be -
>indeed has been. Truth is and does different things inside warranted
>quotes than inside unwarranted ones - but Foucault calls Marxian
>materialism just so much more metaphysics because it must posit a nature
>for us to apprehend and with which to integrate. For F. Marxism is just an
>unsuccessful attempt to take on current knowledge on its own terms, within
>its own 'episteme'. It aspires to be scientific because it does not
>question 'science', because it fails to see that 'science' is just the word
>with which current knowledge affords itself its power. All science is is
>shorthand for discourse-in-power-under-modernity. All science is is a
>contending discourse which has to posit nature if its claim to access to
>that nature is to give it the power that it definitively wills (and
>Foucault's 'will to power' stuff is stated as a metaphysical truth, too,
>for mine ... ).
>
>Call science's bluff, reject the whole idea, come up with whatever bloody
>discourse, resistance, performativity you want, sez Foucault to us (well,
>me, anyway). For mine, that approximates 'bugger the environment', 'bugger
>exploitation', and 'bugger class'. Ya gotta come up with something pretty
>good to make those calls, I reckon ...

There is an alternative reading of Foucault: that you need to be aware of and compensate for the the fundamental assumptions of the particular episteme that you are using--and that a good way to do that is to look at the histories of discourse

>And his attack on humanism in *Order of Things* constitutes an attack on
>the idea of emancipation (for with no 'man' to emancipate, no truth to
>approach, no emancipation possible in light of truth's inevitable dominion,
>well, what have we left?).

The problem, of course, is that he may be right. Whatever we are, we are not autonomous liberal individuals a la Habermas who are to be "emancipated." We are something different, and historically contingent...

The problem is that all non-liberal visions of utopia leave me... profoundly uneasy. Of course, I wouldn't think that after my tour in the re-education camp...

Brad DeLong