Rob Schaap on Foucault

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 11 13:34:25 PDT 2001

>The problem is that all non-liberal visions of utopia leave me...
>profoundly uneasy. Of course, I wouldn't think that after my tour in
>the re-education camp...
>

>Brad DeLong

My diss adviser Allan Gibbard offered the following objection to the theory put forward by Richard Brandt, that the good is what you'd want after "cognitive psychotherapy," if you knew the relevant facts and removed distorting influences, e.g., an obsessive compulsive wouldn't want to wash his hands all the time if he realized that ordinary germs weren't harmful. Gibbard said it would be rational to reject cog psychotherapy, especially if you knew it was going to effectively change your desires. The obsessive would say: but I wouldn't _want_ to be the sort of person who doesn't mine germy hands, eeyeeww! --jks _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com