Rob Schaap on Foucault

kenneth.mackendrick at utoronto.ca kenneth.mackendrick at utoronto.ca
Mon Jun 11 18:34:55 PDT 2001

On Tue, 12 Jun 2001 08:39:46 +0900 Catherine Driscoll <catherine.driscoll at adelaide.edu.au> wrote:

> Doug asks:

> > >Because there is none. Why lie about it?

> > Ok, I'll fall into the trap. If there's no truth, then what's a lie?

> Relative.

Things can only be relative with regards to something universal, even if that universal happens to be 'relative.' The truth is (wait for it) --> we *create* universals. Even if there are none (which itself is a dubious claim), universals in some field, say in the field of human rights, might in fact be desirable. In any event, we can create them, perhaps even enforce them. I've never understood anything about the arguments in favour of relativism. Maybe I haven't followed enough of the thread to realize that this was a joke? (jokes invoke universals too, at least if I understand my Freud). The truth is out there. 1+1=2. Anyone who understands the content of the equation is logically obligated to agree (note that I said logically).

Hello. My name is Ken. I haven't read something by Foucault in 9 months.