Rob Schaap on Foucault

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Tue Jun 12 03:01:39 PDT 2001

>Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:
>
>>For better or worse, France has fostered the idea of politically
>>committed public intellectuals, from Zola to Sartre to Foucault to
>>beyond. In contrast, we have soundbites from experts in think
>>tanks.
>
>"We"? You feeling increasingly like an American, Yoshie?
>
>Doug

Not really -- I meant "we" as in residents of the United States.

I mentioned this offlist, but I forgot to bring my 1-20 (a document that an international student needs to carry while travelling outside the States) with me when I left for Japan in late April. The Immigration at O'Hare let me back in, but only with a temporary permission to stay here for 30 days. I had OSU issue a new I-20 & send it to INS ASAP, but INS hasn't sent it back to me yet. INS is understaffed, probably with a huge backlog of papers to be processed. An international student advisor at OSU told me that I'd get it back in about six weeks. I sure hope so!

Yoshie