Senate Dems to move bankruptcy bill

Nathan Newman nathan at newman.org
Tue Jun 12 09:06:58 PDT 2001

----- Original Message ----- From: "Michael Perelman" <michael at ecst.csuchico.edu>

>What are the anti-abortion provisions?

In the Senate bill, if an individual debts are due to lawsuits for illegally denying access to abortion clinics - i.e. Operation Rescue leaders - the bankruptcy courts will not erase those debts.

BTW I think the provision is bad (even if supported by pro-choicers) but then I think the whole attempt to RICOize social protest against abortion is a throwback to the old attempts to silence social protest through massive fines against unionists and other protesters in the past. At least when the state imprisons a political opponent, they have to absorb costs, so activists can "fill the jails" as a tactic. With civil lawsuit as an instrument of state repression, you destroy social protest by making anyone fearful of joining protest for fear of economically being destroyed as a co-conspirator.

The legal precedents being set in the name of RICO judgements against the pro-lifers will be used to try to wipe out leftwing protests within a few years. I am waiting for the Ruckus Society and other folks to get hit with a nice RICO suit for the anti-globalization protests.

- Nathan Newman