Rob Schaap on Foucault

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Jun 12 09:29:29 PDT 2001

Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:

>Earlier in the thread, you said that "F the SoK [Foucault the
>Sociologist of Knowledge] is Weberian of a high order," & Jim
>Farmelant mentioned that "In his last years, Foucault began to take
>an interest in liberal thought, and he wrote on such people as
>Hayek."

What did he actually say about Hayek? I've read hints of F's liberal turn, but Tom Dickens - an economist who lurks here and who studied with Foucault - and his longtime U.S. publisher Andre Schiffrin both had no idea what this is about. There's a hint in a course outline published in one of the recent New Press collections, but only a hint.

Doug