Fwd: Welcome to the land of the politically correct

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Jun 12 09:49:24 PDT 2001

John Halle wrote:

>The tendency to confuse "transgressive" lifestyle choices (i.e.
>non-standard sexuality, restrictive diet, ) or aesthetic or artistic
>tastes (appreciation for popular culture, jazz, blues or rap) with
>expressions of radical political activism. (This is the Baffler and Tom
>Frank's beat, of course.)

>The tendency of leftist intellectuals to believe that academic
>victories constitute real victories-or as someone said, that "taking over
>the English department" can be compared in importance to "taking over the
>senate."

Who believes these things, really? Lots of people - most? - publicly avowing a "non-standard sexuality" either want to be seen otherwise as "normal" (Andrew Sullivan, Bruce Bawer) or join it to a broader political philosophy. And what cult stud radical really thinks taking over the English department is the same as taking over the Senate? Could we have some names and texts rather than caricatures?

Doug