Fwd: Welcome to the land of the politically correct

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 12 20:16:17 PDT 2001

>From: "Nathan Newman" <nathan at newman.org>

"A left," broadly construed, to me means political sentiment supportive of greater egalitarianism domestically and internationally. "Exist" means clinically significant levels of that sentiment in the body politic. In that sense, the U.S. has a left only in the way that a former chicken pox sufferer still "has" the disease years later; the virus is latent in the system, but the immune system gives lifelong protection against future attacks.

That's an elaborate way of say that maybe the "end of history" crowd was right after all. I see no end to the centrist stasis that has long defined U.S. politics. The such-as-it-is left remains well marginalized and no real threat to this entropy.