Berlin, London, Paris all controlled by the Left - first time?

Nathan Newman nathan at newman.org
Tue Jun 12 14:09:14 PDT 2001

With the fall of the "grand coalition" governing Berlin, the recent election in Paris, and Ken Livingstone's win in London, there is a remarkable new landscape of capital city politics in Europe, including the fact that two of the new mayors (Berlin and Paris) are gay as well.

It will be interesting to see if these changes lead to new innovations in urban planning politics. Livingstone is obviously trying to push that with his battle over control of the London Underground and it is clear that the Berlin government crisis was related to planning issues. The changes also reflect, from what I can tell, the increasing racial diversity of European cities, especially in Paris and London, so I wonder if there will be any cross-Atlantic linkages on some of these issues.

In any case, it is an interesting convergence of capitol city politics in the three mega-capitols of Europe.

-- Nathan Newman