coerced treatment

Marta Russell ap888 at lafn.org
Tue Jun 12 15:35:26 PDT 2001

Dump bourgeiose theory for a moment.

Not all help is *competent* help. Psychiatry is not a science. There are no blood tests for various mental conditions. Many people seeking help are prescribed medications that harm them, not help them. When the patient knows this and expresses it, their experience can be invalidated by a "know it all" psychiatrist. Anyone who has communication with those who have been in the trenches knows of instances where psychiatrists are WRONG with diagnoses and treatment. Forced treatment takes the right of the individual to act in their own interest away. Geez just look at forced electroshock therapy. Some docs and hospitals still think that is a valid form of treatment and force it upon patients.

Futher "mental illness" is a loose category that can be used to silence those who voice opposition to political regimes and get committed to institutions for it -- " for their own good" !

Marta