Rob Schaap on Foucault

Catherine Driscoll catherine.driscoll at adelaide.edu.au
Tue Jun 12 17:03:21 PDT 2001

Justin Schwartz writes:

> Joanna, you seem to operate on the odd assumption that homosexuals
> can't
> have kids. In our society, for various reasons, they are less
> likely to. In
> ancient Greece and Rome, where homosexual behavior for men was
> normal and
> expected, the opposite was true. Upper class man had a wife for
> children and
> housekeeping, and boyfriends for sex and companionship. --jks

We don't need to go back to this: there's lesbians, of course, I hear they can still have children; also, people who are not heterosexual co- operate all the time in having children; come to think of it, people who are not heterosexual have children all the time with people who are.

Whatever the categories of 'heterosexual' and those who are not mean, they don't mean anything about conception and childbirth.

Catherine