coerced treatment

Leslilake1 at aol.com Leslilake1 at aol.com
Tue Jun 12 22:36:07 PDT 2001

In a message dated 01-06-12 23:17:16 EDT, I Murray writes:

<< The current pharmaco-therapeutic regime exists for the sake of workers

and managers of "mental" institutions, which in turn exist for

Capital;.>>

Ian

My post here is a little off-topic, since I don't see much outright psychosis or schizophrenia where I work, but - about 1/3 to 1/2 of the patient charts I review at the hospital, I'd estimate, show a patient on some kind of mood-altering drug - anti-depressants, tranquilizers, anti-anxiety meds, etc.

In the last weight loss class I ran, half the participants were on some kind of mood drug (it may have been more than half, but half volunteered the information when they introduced themselves!). And I begin to wonder - if about half the population is on drugs, what does it mean? half the population is abnormal, with warped brain chemistry? or - some of the anxieties that would have been attached to other objects in different cultures or different times are today focused on ourselves and explained as a function of abnormal brain chemistry? Or - is it some intrinsic part of this political-economic system that people "naturally" feel sort of defective at some level....?

les (guilty of overposting, i think, and will stop now)