The happy planet

Brenda Rosser shelter at tassie.net.au
Tue Jun 12 06:48:43 PDT 2001

Re: [TasTalking] Fw: The happy planetA Tasmanian citizen's response to 'the happy planet' - see below (response is in between sections of the original text). Brenda Rosser, Spokesperson, Waratah-Wynyard Residents Against Chemical Trespass

From: Jack Lomax Sent: Wednesday, June 13, 2001 12:43 AM Subject: Re: The happy planet

Anyone want to email anthony.browne at observer.co.uk and inform him of what's

happening in Tasmania?? Massive clearfelling of native/old growth forest;

aerial spraying annually over populated areas, 1080 poison being laid

everywhere to kill our native animals etc etc.

Brenda Rosser

81,00.html

> Recovering Earth

> Environmentalists said our planet was doomed to die. Now one man says

> they are wrong. Anthony Browne reports

> Special report: global warming

> Sunday June 10, 2001

> The Observer

> It hardly needed explanation. 'Everyone knows the planet is in bad

> shape,' thundered a Time magazine article last year. The seas are

> being polluted, the forests devastated, species are being driven to

> extinction at record rates, the rain is acid, the ozone layer

> vaporising, and the rivers are so poisonous fish are floating on the

> surface, dead As Al Gore, former US vice-president, put it in his book Earth in the Balance : 'Modern industrial civilisation is colliding violently with our planet's ecological system.' We inherited Eden and are leaving our

> children a depleted rubbish tip.......

Anthony, that is the truth. A state of affairs that has been true for at least 30 years but, (like the early warnings about the dangers of smoking for health) were successfully dismissed from general consciousness and the scientist who pointed to the figures were also dismissed as cranks and alarmists who were misreading the available data ( Again just like the early struggle of medical scientist against the tobacco giants who finally started saying that yes there had been a teeny problem but that had gone away now that filter tips and 'lighter' tobacco was being used)

> But there's a growing belief that what everyone takes for granted is

> wrong: things are actually getting better. A new book is about to

> overturn our most basic assumptions about the world's environment. Far

> from going to hell in a handcart, it is improving by almost all

> measures. Those things not getting better are getting worse at a

> slower rate Rivers, seas, rain and the atmosphere are all getting cleaner. The total amount of forests in the world is not declining.....

Well well well. How wrong we all can be. Thank god for this new book which I'm sure has had to struggle to decide which of the publishers should get the large subsidy attached to its publication. So that's all right then isn't it? . 'On yer Georgie W Twigg ." Get them chimneys smoking and those gas guzzlers a rollin'. Ain't a damn thing wrong with the world. I really don't know why I bothered to take time off as the Texan Terminator to run this here big wide world when it's getting better all the time. Or maybe the fact is that my selection as President by that fine body of men in the Supreme Court has turned things around in the world already. I must get myself a copy of that there book and remember to give that boy a damn big fine medal for writing it".

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor