sad workers

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Wed Jun 13 06:31:30 PDT 2001

Leslilake1 at aol.com wrote:

> this seems along the same lines of some study i remember asking, who actually
> has a more realistic assessment of things (can't remember what things,
> exactly), "ordinary' people or depressed people? answer (per the study):
> depressed people.

I posted in respect to this study when it came out, but I can't remember where the study appeared. A correction: it did not involve "assessment of things" but assessment of one's own capabilities. Regardless of class, 'race,' gender, etc. etc the _only_ group that regularly estimated their own abilities accurately were those suffering from clinical depression. All others regularly over-estimated their capabilities.

Carrol