Electroconvulsive Therapy (Re: coerced treatment)

Marta Russell ap888 at lafn.org
Wed Jun 13 09:48:56 PDT 2001

Often these kind of "reports" are written by professionals who have conflicts of interest and push their preferred methods for career reasons. I don't know about Richard Glass but this statement is wrong:

> As currently practiced, ECT
> involves the use of informed consent, ultra-brief general anesthesia
> and muscle relaxants ......

Electroshock is going on without informed consent.

There is a case going on right now in New York -- Paul Henri Thomas is being forcefully shocked against his will at PILGRIM PSYCHIATRIC CENTER . His lawyers have been trying to stop it in the courts.

http://mindfreedom.org/mindfreedom/paul.shtml

PAUL'S ATTORNEYS have won a four-day Temporary Restraining Order today against forced shock, until a full TRO hearing scheduled for February 27, 2001

Paul needs to win Tuesday's TRO hearing to prevent further surprise shocks before his March 2, 2001 hearing to try to totally stop his forced electroshock.

http://mindfreedom.org/mindfreedom/news/010223_c.shtml

*** BUT JUST HOURS BEFORE attorneys obtained the TRO, Pilgrim Psychiatric Center's Director, Alan Weinstock broke his agreement with Paul's attorneys and allowed the surprise forced electroshock of Paul, this morning.

http://mindfreedom.org/mindfreedom/news/010223.shtml

*** MEANWHILE, A WHISTLEBLOWER mental health professional who works inside the New York Office of Mental Health (NY OMH) anonymously warned today that coerced shock is a growing systemic problem in many NY State psychiatric facilities.

http://mindfreedom.org/mindfreedom/news/010223_b.shtml

Marta