Rob Schaap on Foucault

Ian Murray seamus2001 at home.com
Wed Jun 13 10:11:41 PDT 2001

======= How dare any social theorist think they could ever surpass Marx.

> Foucault's theory, in short, is too abstract & idealist. Here,
> Foucault the philosopher drags down Foucault the sociologist of
> knowledge.
============= "A spider constructs operations which resemble those of a weaver, and a bee would put many a human architect to shame by the construction of honeycomb cells. But what distinguishes the worst architect from the best of bees is that the architect builds the cell in his mind before he constructs it in wax. At the end of every labour process, a result emerges which had already been conceived by the worker at the beginning, hence already existed ideally." [C vol. I, 284]

"what Marx opposes is not simply simply 'idealism': it is the validity of the very distinction between the material and the ideal." [Marsden, 23]

> >I am not prepared to ditch class analysis, as you well know. My
> >point was not that we should adopt Foucault of D&P in the place of
> >historical materialism, but that we should use Foucauldian-style
> >institutional analyses to fill in the gap in historical materialist
> >explanation between the abstract truth that class relations
> >determine ideas in some way, and the particular determinations that
> >emerge in concrete contexts.
>
> I'm in favor of the above, but doing so demands that we leave out
> Foucault's theoretical premises & conclusions, while learning from
> him "in medias res" as it were.
>
> Yoshie
========= No. It demands no such inference. The rapidity with which you cast M&F in zero-sum terms is frightening. And the ire with which Marxists attacked F reminds me of Northern Ireland. A total waste of time and 'energy'. Such is the folly of attempting to achieve finality and unsurpassability in the study of societies.

Ian