coerced treatment

Marco Anglesio mpa at the-wire.com
Wed Jun 13 13:24:29 PDT 2001

On Wed, 13 Jun 2001, Marta Russell wrote:
> in advancing their own interest all of the time" but if you were
> subjected to a medication that was giving you harmful side effects
> would you say "I can't advance my own interest because not everyone
> can, so therefore I will continue to take this harmful drug?" Of
> course not. Converting all action to one narrow view as though it must

It is rather difficult to adopt a long-term view in such cases, especially when the balance of harm is based on a balance of probabilities. For example, a drug may have nasty adverse effects (and many do - from tardive dyskinesia with the major tranquilizers or fatigue and nausea with lithium) but still end up benefitting the patient.

That said, the patient still has to live with the side effects, and that can be very taxing. Drug discontinuation is a major problem for those who suffer from such mental illnesses as depression, manic-depression, or schizophrenia. For the latter two, the consequences of drug discontinuation can be quite severe.

The grey area is even moreso when one considers more controversial therapies, such as ECT. Having done some lay research, I wouldn't assert that ECT is not of therapeutic value, but the adverse effects can be very bad. It might be worth noting that ECT is rarely administered as prophylaxis, but most often to deal with an acute and severe episode.

> understand quadriplegia, for instance, often will put a quad in harm's
> way by not knowing details the quad does know. You should see how

That's an imperfect metaphor, given that mental illness does affect one's perception and cognition, sometimes quite severly, while quadriplegia does not.

Don't take this as wholeheartedly disagreeing with you, Marta, because I'm not. Doctors are by no means infallible, and they are never miracle workers; even the very competent ones occasionally guess wrong, or fumble with a lack of information and pressure to produce results.

I am unsure of the right course of action, but I do think that in the case of severe mental illness, the right of a patient to decline treatment should be somewhat limited. Perhaps those jurisdictions who grant it to an ombudsman are on the right track.

My (very occasional) 0.02$ worth.

Marco