Frantz Fanon on Medicine & Colonialism

Ian Murray seamus2001 at home.com
Wed Jun 13 14:05:10 PDT 2001

> We need the kind of struggle that would recruit an increasing number
> of doctors, technicians, scientists, & others on our side & make
them
> "our" doctors, "our" technicians, etc. However, a large number of
> Americans -- including many leftists -- may have given up on such an
> emancipatory possibility even in theory, not to mention in practice.
> Hence the oft-heard note of _all-encompassing, indiscriminate
> skepticism_ about science, medicine, & any kind of expert knowledge,
> unwilling to separate the wheat from the chaff, leaving us trapped
in
> the haze of colonial ambivalence (which may make many Americans
> credulous believers in anyone who claims to debunk expert
knowledge).

> Yoshie
========= < http://www.arts.ualberta.ca/HeatherYoungLeslie/Medicine&Modernity.html

< http://www.fiu.edu/~wiedmand/medanthro/medpubs.htm >

< http://symptom.mit.edu/dumit/anth253-syl.html >

I'd also recommend The Struggle for Ecological Democracy" for a good look at contesting expertise in socio-epidemiology and genderization of science and community health.

Ian